East Linwood Cemetery

Linwood Cemetery is located on the west edge of Galesburg, Illinois, at West Main St. and Linwood Rd on the south west corner, near by-pass 34 and Highway 164.

Linwood Cemetery Association, organized in 1856, purchased 30 acres from Marius Belden and wife in November 1856. The City of Galesburg bought those acres from Linwood Cemetery Association for a city cemetery on December 15, 1857.

The City of Galesburg purchased an additional 22 acres on the south east corner of West Main St and Linwood Rd. This principal addition to date is known as East Linwood Cemetery and was purchased around March 19, 1928.

The City owns and maintains the cemeteries in excellent condition. All records are filed electronically at the cemetery office and City Hall. Hard copies are also on file. To date there are 13,005 burials in Linwood and 4,149 in East Linwood.

There is a memorial to the late Mary A. Bickerdyke in Linwood Cemetery. Her husband and daughter are buried at the same location. She was a nurse to the boys in blue.

Templates in Time