From the 1891 Biographical History of Pottawattamie County, Iowa, The Lewis Publishing Company. [Contributed by Todd Walter.
E. PARISH, a prominent citizen of Hazel Dell Township, was born in Canada West, October 9, 1841, the sixth child of nine in the family of Hiram and Anna (Bullard) Parish, the former a native of Vermont and the latter of Canada. He was eight years of age when his parents came with him to Lee County, Iowa, where they passed the remainder of their lives. Brought up to the arts of agriculture, he was at the early age of thirteen years compelled in a great measure to look out for himself. He was in Knox County, Illinois, from the age of fifteen to twenty, when, during the war, he enlisted, in October, 1861, in Company L, Eighth Missouri Volunteer Infantry, but was soon transferred to Company I. After faithful service for three years, participating in the noted battles of Fort Henry, Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth, Holly Springs, Lookout Mountain, Mission Ridge, Kenesaw Mountain, Russell House, Atlanta, Jonesboro, and a number of skirmishes, he was honorably discharged, at East Point, Georgia. He was married [in Knox County on] October 30, 1866, to Miss Jane Nelson, daughter of Josiah and Margaret Nelson, who was born in Knox County, Illinois, in November, 1848. After a three years residence in Illinois he came to Pottawattamie County and purchased a tract of "raw" prairie on section 3, Hazel Dell Township, of forty acres. Here he erected a small frame residence, 14 x 16, in which he made his home for five or six years, while he was subduing his land to cultivation. He now possesses 159 acres, all of which has been improved. He has now a neat frame residence, 26 x 24 and 16 x 20, and barns, etc., in good style. He is particularly interested in improved breeds of stock, making a specialty of Durham cattle. He is a self-made man, having risen by his own efforts to his present high standing, and he has also done much for the public welfare. He is a Republican in his political sympathies; he has served his township as Constable and member of the School Board, Road Supervisor, and is now Township Clerk.
He has had twelve children, viz.: John N., at home; Dora B., wife of George Smith, and residing, in Boomer Township; Peter, Minnie, Mary and George, at home; Cyrus, deceased; Etta, Bertha, Elmer, Cora and Ella Myrtle.
From the 1899 Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and Knox County, Munsell Publishing Company.
ISAAC AUGUSTUS PARKER, son of Isaac and Lucia (Wood) Parker was born in South Woodstock, Vermont, December 31, 1825. His grandfather, Eleazer Parker, removed from Mansfield, Connecticut, to South Woodstock, Vermont, about the year 1780, and cleared land for a farm, which remained in his possession and in that of his son for nearly a century. Records in the State Library of Connecticut show that Eleazer Parker responded to the Lexington alarm in 1775.
Mr. Parker's mother was the daughter of Joseph Wood, a revolutionary soldier, who removed from Middleborough, Massachusetts, to Woodstock, Vermont. Joseph was a direct descendant of Henry Wood, who went from England to Holland, and afterwards to Plymouth, Massachusetts. The wife of Joseph Wood was the daughter of Gershom Palmer, a descendant of Walter Palmer, who came from England and settled in Charlestown, Massachusetts, in 1629, and removed to Stonington, Connecticut, in 1652.
Mr. Parker spent his boyhood on his father's farm, assisting in cultivating it, and attending the district school in the winters. He enjoyed the advantage of a select school in the fall for two or three years. A library, to which he had access, which had been established at an early period in the village near his father's residence, was of great benefit to him, as he was fond of reading. In the Fall of 1846, he attended Black River Academy in Ludlow, Vermont, with the view of fitting for college. The next Spring, Summer and Fall, he studied Latin and Greek at an academy in Hancock, New Hampshire, devoting a large portion of his time to teaching some of the higher branches of mathematics, to which had given considerable attention, and the study of which he enjoyed. He completed fitting for college at Green Mountain Liberal Institute in South Woodstock, Vermont, and entered Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire, in the Fall of 1849, and was graduated from that institution in 1853. He was a member of the Alpha Delta Phi Society, and at graduation became a member of the Phi Beta Kappa Society.
Commencing at the age of seventeen, he taught district schools for ten successive winters. Immediately after graduating from college, he became Principal of Orleans Liberal Institute in Glover, Vermont, and held this position for more than five years. Having been elected Professor of Ancient Languages in Lombard University, in Galesburg, Illinois, in the Fall of 1858, he resigned his position in Glover and at once entered upon the duties of his professorship. He continued to discharge the duties of this professorship till 1868, when he was made Williamson Professor of Greek Language and Literature in the same institution, which position he now holds. He has, however, continued to give forty years of continuous service to Lombard University.
He receive the degree of Master of Arts from Dartmouth College in 1856, and that of Doctor of Philosophy from Buchtel College in 1892. For several years he has been a member of the Board of Directors of the Galesburg Public Library. He is a member of the Universalist Church in Galesburg.
In 1856, he was married to Sarah A. Labaree, daughter of William and Parthena (Whitmore) Labaree, of Hartland, Vermont. Mrs. Parker died in 1889. A daughter and son survived her, both of whom were graduated from Lombard University. The daughter, Izah T., died of consumption in 1891, at the age of thirty-four, having spent the last four years of her life in southern California, whither she had gone in the hope of regaining her health in the salubrious climate of that favored region. While she was there her father spent his summer vacations with her.
The son, William A., for the last seventeen years, has pursued the vocation of a civil engineer. He is now in the employ of the Union Pacific Railroad Company.
From the 1899 Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and Knox County, Munsell Publishing Company, page 875. [Contributed by Todd Walter.]
HIRAM F. PARKINS; Contractor and Builder; Knox Township; born March 15, 1858, in Knox County, Illinois; educated in the common schools. The ancestry of the family is Scotch and Dutch on the paternal side, on the maternal side, German and English. Mr. Parkins father, Leven A. Parkins, was a native of Virginia, while his mother, Martha (Maxey), was born in Kentucky; they had eleven chil- (there appears to be a sentence missing, and only six children are listed) Byron, Hiram F., James M., Charles, Almon E., and Annie, who was married to Julius Newton. Mr. Parkins' father died in July, 1876, but his mother is still living. Mr. Parkins' paternal grandfather, James Madison Parkins, who married Miss Haptonstall, was born in Virginia. Mr. Parkins married his first wife Ida McDaniel, in Galesburg, January 13, 1880 [the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index lists a Frank F. Parkins marrying a Ada J. McDaniels in Knox County on January 13, 1880]; they had two children: Frederick, born October 11, 1882; and Sarah I. Mrs. Parkins died September 17, 1896. May 7, 1898, Mr. Parkins was married in East Galesburg to Mrs. Laura B. (Clutts) Jefferies [the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index lists a Hiram F. Parkins marrying a Mrs. Laura Jeffreys in Knox County on May 7, 1898], who had one son, Chester, by her first marriage. Mrs. Parkins father, Robert Clutts, was born in Ohio, September 12, 1838, and was married to Pricey Shelton, a native of Kentucky. They had three children: Mary E., Charles and Laura B. Mr. Clutts died in 1876, but Mrs. Clutts is still living. Mr. Parkins is a member of Hazel Lodge, No. 378, Knights of Pythias, of East Galesburg, also of East Galesburg Camp, No. 3436, Modern Woodmen of America. Mrs. Parkins is a member of Rathbone Marguerite Temple of Galesburg, Illinois. In religion, Mr. Parkins belongs to the United Brethren. In politics, he is a republican, and for three years held the office of Alderman.
Taken from June 25, 1928, unknown newspaper. [Contributed by Todd Walter.]
Agnes Tasker Parkinson. Impressive funeral services were held in the Maquon church at 10 o'clock Friday morning for Mrs. Agnes Parkinson. Interment was made in the Maquon Cemetery.
Mrs. Agnes Tasker Parkinson, daughter of William and Mary Tasker was born in Sussex County, England, July 21st, 1860, and passed away after a few hours illness at her home in Maquon, Monday morning, June 18th, 1928, aged 67 years, 10 months, 27 days.
Besides her husband she leaves one brother, George of Rapatee, numerous other relatives and a host of friends to mourn her departure. She was confirmed in the Episcopal church of England.
She was one of a family of twelve children and her early life and school days were lived in England. Her brothers William and Charles had immigrated to America and settled near Maquon. In 1876 her brother Charles went back to England and on May 24th, 1876, (52 years ago) sailed from London, England, with Agnes and her sister Mary, and brought them to the home of their brother, William Tasker.
March 6th, 1882, she was married to Thomas Baxter Parkinson [the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index lists a Thomas Parkinson marrying a Agnes Tasker in Knox County on March 6, 1884] who had also come from England to make his home. They farmed until about ten years ago when they sold their farm and bought a home in Maquon which they have made a beauty spot in the community.
She was a faithful member of Bertie Lenore Temple No. 10 Pythian Sisters, a member of the Illini Club and had for many years been the efficient secretary of the Maquon Ladies' Cemetery Association.
From the 1912 History of Knox County - Volume II, The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, Chicago, page 584. [Submitted by Pat Thomas.]
George Patty, a well known agriculturist of Victoria township, who has retired from the active work of the fields but still makes his home on his farm, is a native of Knox county, his birth having occurred in the township, where he now lives, on the 10th of July, 1849. His parents were Josiah and Rebecca (Brown) Patty, the father a native of Tennessee, where he was also reared, and the mother of North Carolina. They were married in Tennessee and there they passed the early years of their domestic life, coming to Knox county in 1837. Upon their arrival they located in Victoria township, where the father successfully engaged in agricultural pursuits during the remainder of his active life. He acquired extensive property interests, and at the time of his death owned five hundred and twenty acres of land, three hundred and twenty of which was under cultivation and the remainder in timber. Both parents passed away on the homestead and were buried in Salem cemetery. The family of Mr. and Mrs. Patty numbered eight, the two eldest of which were born in Tennessee and the others in this county. In order of birth they are as follows: James; William; Sarah J.; Nancy A.; Obed; Robert; George; and Josiah. The parents originally joined the Baptist church, but after locating in Victoria township, Mrs. Patty united with the Methodist Episcopal church. The father voted the democratic ticket, but never sought office.
The entire life of George Patty has been passed in the immediate vicinity of his present home, his education having been obtained in the Center Prairie district school. When still in his early boyhood he was assigned duties about the farm, and, as in common with other lads of the pioneer period, he had to assume his share of the duties and responsibilities that devolved upon both young and old living on the frontier. By the time he had attained his maturity he was a practical agriculturist, continuing to devote his entire attention to this vocation until 1904, when he turned over the operation of his farms to his son and son-in-law. He early manifested the energy and perseverance that have been the salient factors in his success, so intelligently directing his undertakings that he acquired three hundred and eighty acres of valuable land, all of which is under high cultivation. His holdings are located on section 14, of Victoria township, on the east side of the north and south road. During the period of his ownership he has erected all of the buildings now standing, including the house, which was built in 1876, and has wrought various other improvements consistent with the spirit of progress and enterprise he has at all times evinced.
For his wife Mr. Patty chose Miss Rosetta Florence Cain [the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index lists a George Patty marrying a Rosette F. Cain in Knox County on October 7, 1875], who was born in Stark county, Illinois, and is the daughter of Joseph and Barbara Cain. Four children have been born to them, as follows: Joseph Delbert, who married Pearl Tucker and is now residing on one of his father's farms; Roy, who chose for his wife Blanch Jarnagan, and lives in Galesburg; Stella, the wife of Fred Orwig, who is living on the home farm; and Etta, who is a music teacher.
Ever since age conferred upon him the right of franchise, Mr. Patty has cast his ballot for the candidates of the democratic party. He has always taken an active interest in township affairs, and during his early manhood assumed his share of public office, serving with efficiency both as justice of the peace and constable, having resigned from the latter office before the expiration of his term. His energies were equally divided between general farming and stock raising during the long period of his agricultural career, both occupations proving to be remunerative under his intelligent and capable supervision. He is now enjoying the ease and comfort afforded by the goodly income received from his property; the reward of the well spent years of his early life.
From the Wednesday, March 15, 1911, Stark County News. [Contributed by Pat Thomas.]
James W. Patty was born in Tennessee, October 27, 1836 and died March 9, 1911, aged 74 years, 4 months and 12 days. His parents removed from Tennessee to Victoria township in 1837. Here he grew to manhood among the early settlers.
He was joined in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Dennis on March 27, 1856 [in Knox County]. To this union were born six children, William Henry of Moscow, Michigan, Mrs. Eliza Matthewson, now deceased; Mrs. Emma Collinson, of Victoria, Owen, Clarence and Byron.
He leaves to mourn his loss his wife, five children, three brothers, 14 grandchildren, four greatgrandchildren, besides many other relatives and friends.
He had been poorly for a number of years but had kept up until last November when he took to his bed from which he did not arise. He passed away about 5 o�clock in the evening, having passed the number of years allotted to man, three score and ten, by over four years. He was a good husband, an indulgent father and a good friend and neighbor.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
From the Wednesday, March 15, 1911, Stark County News. [Contributed by Pat Thomas.]
Roy Patty and daughter Mildred of Galesburg, came Friday to attend the funeral of the former�s uncle, James Patty. They remained over Sunday with home folks.
From the 1878 History of Knox County, Illinois published by Charles C. Chapman. [Submitted by Joan Achille.]
REV. GEORGE WESLEY PECK. Ph. B., belongs to a large family of ancient and excellent extraction. He was born 7 Feb 1849 in Wyoming Valley, PA, where his parents had a comfortable home. While he was yet a lad, his mother experienced a sad misfortune, lost her reason and has ever since been hopelessly ill to the extent that the best medical aid could afford no relief. Thus deprived, the family seemed tossed upon the waves of deep affliction, removed to Pitcher, NY. in 1865, in company with his father's family he moved to Marcellon, WI, and here he began to accumulate funds for the purpose of obtaining an education. He began teaching at the age of 18 and earned a reputation as an instructor and disciplinarian that kept his services in good demand. After spending 3 years in the preparatory school and completion of the freshman year classical course in Lawrence Univ., WI, he was elected principal of a school in Marquette, Mich. He took a 4 years course in Syracuse Univ. While in college he was editor of the University Herald for one year. and superintended for the NY publishers the revision of Bishop Peck's "Great Republic", and associated with his uncle the Bishop for four years at the Episcopal residence. He was licensed to preach in 1874 and joined the Central NY Conference in 1877 in Syracuse. When called to Hedding College he was elected Professor in Cazenovia Seminary. He is not the President of Hedding College, Abingdon. He is a member of the Central IL Conference of the M. E. Church.
From the 1885 History of McDonough County, Illinois, Continental Historical Co., Springfield, Illinois. [Contributed by Todd Walter.]
James M. Pelley was born February 4, 1837, and is a native of Kentucky. His father died in that state and his mother is now living in McDonough county. When 11 years of age, Mr. Pelley, with his mother, left Kentucky, and located in Macomb township, within a mile of Bardolph. They resided there until 1857, when Mr. Pelley moved to the village, and went into business there. He was for a short time in business at St. Augustine, Knox county, but returned to Bardolph and resides there. He was married January 1, 1860, to Sarah E. Rearson, and they have seven children - David E., Eva M., Elizabeth E., Rosa A., Nancy F., Mary C. and James E. The oldest son, Wiley P., was killed while braking on the C. B. & Q. railroad, near Biggsville, in 1880. Mr. Pelley is a Master Mason, and with his wife are members of the Presbyterian church. He is now village treasurer, custodian of the township school funds, and has for several terms been a member of the town board. He owns a dwelling and eight acres of land in the corporate limits of Bardolph.
From the 1899 Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and Knox County, Munsell Publishing Company.
JAMES FULTON PERCY is a physician, and was born in Bloomfield, New Jersey, March 26, 1864. His father was James Percy, who was born in Soho, New Jersey, and his mother was Sarah Ann Fulton, who was born in New York City.
Dr. Percy's ancestors are of Scotch-Irish descent. His paternal grandfather was Francis Percy, who was born in Belfast, Ireland, and his paternal grandmother was Mabel Wilson, who was born in Gatside, County of Antrim, Ireland. She was the daughter of Stafford Wilson, who was born and lived in the same place. His maternal great-grandparents were born in Ireland, and lived and died in the land of their nativity. His material grandparents were James Fulton and Mary Rogers, who were born in County Dowie, Ireland.
Dr. Percy received his early instruction in the common schools of New Jersey. On account of ill health he was sent to Minnesota at the age of fourteen, where he remained for three years. Here he availed himself of school advantages, and by his perseverance, acquired such education as to fit him for higher duties and responsibilities. He then went to New York City, and took a four-years' graded course in medical college there, when the law required only two years. By reason of the pleasant memories of his boyhood experiences and the thought of better opportunities, he returned West after graduating, and located at Mazeppa, Minnesota. Here he practiced general medicine and surgery for two years. Considering his field of operation too narrow and desiring a larger one, he came to Galesburg in February 1888. Here he found himself among strangers, having the acquaintance of but one person, the Rev. J. W. Bradshaw, pastor the "Brick Church". His fame as a physician soon spread, and to-day, he is one of the best known men in Galesburg. Besides his professional duties, he has engaged in other worthy enterprises. He called the first meeting out of which the Galesburg Cottage Hospital Association grew. It was in his Bible class in the First Congregational Church Sabbath School, that the idea of the union of the "Old First" and the First Congregational Church was first considered. It was at his house that the first meeting was called to consider the question. At this time, the plan of union was not completely accepted, on account of a previous call of the "Old First" Church to the Rev. Dr. Sherrill, which had been accepted. Soon after, these churches were united under a new name, the Central Congregational Church. Dr. Percy also interested himself in the establishment of the Congregational Church on Knox Street, which led to the organization of the Congregational Church on East Main Street.
Nor are his special labors confined wholly to church work. His surgical operations attest his knowledge and ability. He was the first surgeon in Galesburg to perform successfully an abdominal operation, which was done August 1, 1893. In order to perfect himself in the study and practice of surgery, he went, in 1896, to Europe, remaining there nearly a year. He was under the instruction of specialists, Professors Springel and Kraske, two of the best know surgeons in Germany. He then returned to Galesburg and continued the practice of his profession, which has been uniformly successful. In 1898, he was offered and accepted the chair of the Principles and Practice of Surgery and Surgical Clinics in the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Keokuk, Iowa. From time to time he has made contributions to the medical and surgical literature of the day.
Dr. Percy has not been backward in performing his duties as citizen. He is a progressive man, and has shown originality in planning and execution. He is an independent thinker and is bold in the expression of his views. He is intelligent with strongly marked characteristics, and is a better leader than follower. He is amiable in his public and private character, generous in spirit, and gentlemanly in his bearing. He believes in the elevation of humanity; is charitable and kind; and has always shown himself a public-spirited citizen. He is a republican and labors for the interest and welfare of his city and country.
Dr. Percy was married at Mazeppa, Minnesota, June 12, 1888, to Josephine L. Robinson. They are the parents of one child, Sarah Katherine.
From the 1878 History of Knox County, Illinois published by Charles C. Chapman, page 699. [Submitted by Bob Miller.]
ISAAC STILES PERKINS. As a representative business man of Knox co., the subject of this sketch stands prominent. but few men in Illinois have larger business interests under their immediate supervision than he. He was born in Southwick, Mass., June 4, 1832; his parents, Walter and Harriet Perkins, were also natives of that State; his early life was passed on the farm; he attended common district schools and Southwick and Westfield Academies. Attaining his majority, he came west to Terre Haute, Ind., where he taught school one year, after which he took a tour through the Northwest, stopping at St. Louis, where he engaged as a commercial traveler, which he continued for 5 years. Prior to the outbreak of the rebellion he returned to his native State, where he engaged as commercial traveler and continuing as such until 1863, when he came to Jacksonville, Ill., where, until 1864, he was connected with a hardware firm. During that year, with George W. Brown, he made an engagement to become his general traveling and business agent, and with whom, for a period of over 14 years, he has been engaged. For the first 5 years, Mr. P. did almost all the traveling for the manufactory, which included the selling of the products and much of the collecting. As the business increased, more cares, greater difficulties and closer application became necessary, but with his intimate knowledge, judicious judgment and unquestionable integrity, Mr. Brown found much of the burden taken from his shoulders. Through long and weary patent litigations against infringments (sic) upon Mr. Brown's patents, he took a prominent and successful part. July 31, 1866, he was married to Eliza Clark, of Westfield, Mass. She is a graduate of Massachusetts State Normal School, and a lady of high social standing. They have only 1 child, a son, Clayton C. Perkins, born Nov. 24, 1873. Besides his connection with the corn-planter works, he is Director in the Second National Bank, of Galesburg; he also acts as agent for Eastern capital. Republican.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
See also the 1899 Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and Knox County, Munsell Publishing Company, page 742.
From the 1878 History of Knox County, Illinois published by Charles C. Chapman, page 700. [Submitted by Joan Achille.]
Job Pittard. His parents were James and Martha Pittard, of England, where he was born Aug. 2, 1815; he received his education in select school in his native land. Job has always followed farming, in which he has been successful; lives in Ontario township, where he has been school director for several terms; came from England to Chicago in 1847, to Ontario in 1849; married Mary Thomas, Jan. 2, 1842; 1 girl and 6 boys have blessed the union, 2 boys living; united with the M. E. Church in 1847; elected Deacon in 1876 of Congregational Church, Ontario. Republican. P.O., Oneida.
From the 1886 Portrait and Biographical Album of Knox County, page 316
Knox County is dotted over with some of as rich and productive farms as are
to be found anywhere within the borders of the great Prairie State. On them are
located fine improvements, which have been placed there by economy, and through
energy on the parts of the proprietors. As a truly representative citizen of
this county and one possessing the necessary requisites to succeed in
agriculture, we take pleasure in mentioning the name of the subject of this
From the 1878 History of Knox County, Illinois published by Charles C. Chapman. [Submitted by Joan Achille.]
THOMAS H. POOL, farmer. Benjamin and Nancy Pool, his parents, were of Southern birth; removed to Clark co., Ind., where Thomas was born Aug. 19, 1830. When but 4 years old he came with his parents to Henderson co., Ill., and in 1841 settled in Knox co.; was married Dec. 4, 1850 to Nancy McMurtry, 2 sons and 6 daughters being the fruits of the union. Democrat. P.O., Rio.
From the 1899 Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and Knox County, Munsell Publishing Company, page 853. [Contributed by Bobbie (Barb).]
Francis POPLETT; Henderson Township, born in Sparta Township, May 28, 1851; educated in Knox County. His father, John Poplett, was born in Indiana, September 12, 1826, and died March 30, 1852; his mother, Sophia (Davis) Poplett, was born in Indiana, November 2, 1829; his grandfather; Thompson Poplett, came from Kentucky; his maternal grandfather, Peter Davis, was born in Kentucky in December, 1801, and died March 15, 1871; his maternal grandmother, Harriet (Cannon) Davis, was born in Kentucky March 5, 1811, and died November 8, 1891. John Poplett and Sophia Davis were married November 16, 1848; a son, Heary Thompson, was born in 1849, and died June 16, 1850. Francis Poplett was married to Laura L. Rowe, in Sparta Township July 3, 1872 [the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index lists a Francis Poplett marrying a Laura L. Rowe in Knox County on July 3, 1872]. Their children are: Nellie Harriet, born July 10, 1873, died August 11, 1873; Laura Ella, born January 12, 1875, married to Jacob M. Findley, January 8, 1896; Mary Alice, born August 19, 1876, died February 8, 1880, and Elmer Frank, born April 20, 1884. Laura Lorrania, wife of Francis Poplett, was born February 22, 1849, and died March 31, 1890. Mr. Poplett is a Protestant. In politics, he is a republican, and has held the office of Road Commissioner.
From the 1886 Portrait and Biographical Album of Knox County, Biographical Publishing Company, Chicago, page 849. [Submitted by Pat Thomas.]
Gen. Philip Sidney Post, whose portrait we give on the opposite page, is a native of Orange County, N. Y., and was born March 19, 1833. He is a son of Gen. Peter Schuyler Post, a soldier of 1812. His mother, before marriage, was Mary Coe, and like his father was a native of New York State. The Posts came from Holland originally and the Coes from England. The senior Gen. Post was a farmer by occupation. He married Miss Coe in Rockland County, N. Y., in 1820, and of the two sons born to them Philip Sidney was the younger. The family came to Galesburg in 1854, and here the father died in 1861. His mother is yet living, at the age of 86 years, and resides with her son.
The youth of the subject of our sketch was spent at school, and he graduated with honors from Union College, Schenectady, N. Y., in the Class of 1855. He afterward was a student at the Poughkeepsie (N. Y.) Law School. He subsequently began the practice of his profession at Wyandotte, Kan. At the outbreak of the war he came to Galesburg, entered the service of the United States, and became Second Lieutenant of Co. A, 59th Ill. Vol. Inf. From Second Lieutenant he was promoted to First Lieutenant and Adjutant, then to Major, Colonel and finally to Brigadier-General, in which capacity his name is linked and identified with the history of our country, and will go down to posterity immortalized in the printed pages detailing the incidents of the great American conflict.
While in the service he participated in many of the hardest-fought battles in the South and Southwest. He was at Pea Ridge, Perryville, Stone River, Nolensville, the Tullahoma campaign, Chickamauga, the Atlantic campaign and many other minor engagements not designated in history as regular battles. At Lovejoy Station, the last battle in the Atlanta campaign, Gen. Post had charge of a division, which he handled so skillfully as to earn for himself honorable mention. After recovering from the wound received at Nashville he was stationed at San Antonio, Texas, where he had command of 16 regiments of infantry. He left the military service in February, 1866.
Immediately after the terrible battle of Nashville, Gen. George H. Thomas filed at the War Department a special report earnestly recommending Gen. Post's appointment as Colonel of the regular army. He said:
In a similar report addressed to the Secretary of War by his corps commander, Gen. Post's military record is thus reviewed:
On the re-organization of the army the Secretary of War informed Gen. Post of these recommendations and that they were favorably considered, but as peace was then established he decided not to remain in the military service.
Immediately after leaving the army Gen. Post was appointed to the foreign service. The following letter from the Department of State fully explains the character and nature of that service, and the reputation made therein during a period of over 13 years:
Gen. Post returned to Galesburg in 1880, and since 1883 has been engaged in real estate. He was prominently mentioned among the contestants for election to congressional honors, in 1884.
At no time in his life could it truthfully be said that Gen. Post has been a politician, a wire-worker or a time-server. When the people of this district shall come to think that the army record and civil life of Gen. Post warrant his election as their servant in any public trust commensurate with his abilities, then, and not till then, may it be said that he is a candidate for office. Gen. Post has accumulated in his life no pecuniary fortune. As Colonel and brigade commander, and as foreign representative, he received no such salary as would enable him to store up wealth. Instead of making money his army life naturally produced a contrary result. Though contrary to our rule, forbidding conclusions in reference to living men in biography, the writer knows he can truthfully say that Gen. Post is a scholar of rare attainments, and at all times and under all circumstances a gentleman. Sometime in 1878, a prominent Southerner, transmitting some papers to Gen. Post, from Kentucky, took occasion to say in his letter, among other things: "In the hour spent at my house, as Buell's army was passing, in the fall of 1862, you taught me by your gentlemanly bearing and general discourse to lay aside my sectional aspersions for the time, and do homage to the high personal attributes and liberal sentiments so signally manifested by you on that occasion."
A Chicago Times editorial, of March 28, 1874, is here reproduced in further corroboration of the foregoing conclusions of the writer:
Gen. Post takes no stock in shams. He believed in fighting the battles for the Union while there was an armed foe, and with "the fury of the non-combatants," of whom the late Gen. Grant spoke as having gone into the fight too long after the war was over, he has but little sympathy. He is a plain, everyday sort of a man, with many original ideas, which he always expresses elegantly, but, like Dickens, in a language that all can comprehend.
As a public speaker he ranks high, his language being choice and elegant, logic clear and forcible and his manner pleasing, and the deep conviction he has of the sentiments uttered carries with him the feelings and sentiments of his hearers. Had we the space we could make many choice literary selections from his speeches. He has been the distinguished orator at many noted gatherings and always wins great favor and applause.
Gen. Post is a married man. He married May 24, 1866, Miss Cornelia A. Post, daughter of Honorable Wm. T. Post, of Elmira, N. Y. Their children are Harriette H., Philip Sidney and Wm. Schuyler. He attends the Episcopal Church, is Knight Templar in Masonry, member-at-large of the Republican Central Committee, and Commander of the Department of Illinois, Grand Army of the Republic.
From the 1878 History of Knox County, Illinois published by Charles C. Chapman. [Submitted by Joan Achille.]
ALVIN H. POTTER. A physician in Maquon, he is the son of Sheldon and Wealthy (Baldwin) Potter of New England. He was educated in common schools until 14 and then at Aurora Academy, then at Kingsville Academy, Ohio. He graduated at Michigan Central college. He studied law from 17 to 20 and then taught school some. He read medicine with Dr. Colton. He came to Maquon in 1850 and has been Justice of the Peace, Coroner, Supervisor, and Provost Marshal. He married Jul 5, 1847 to Thankful Fowler. She died June 29, 1858, and he married next to Eliza J. Moore, on June 19, 1860. He is the parent of 3 children. Republican.
From the book Down One Hundred Years, by L. Dale Ahern, page 262. [Contributed by Sherry Balow.]
EBENEZER PRICE - born 1828 in Portage County, Ohio; parents Jonathan and Eliza; came to Decatur County, Iowa, in 1854; wife Sarah M. Tift; children - Francis, Arthur, Clarence, and Ira; occupation farmer and Civil War veteran; church Christian; died 1872
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Excerpt of biography authored by Arthur Elva Price in 1929. [Contributed by Sherry Balow.]
Ebenezer Price. Note: This is excerpted from Uncle Arthur's "Fact's concerning our family" that he compiled many years ago. A lot of his writing was "family tradition" before the late 1700's, however, the balance is considered factual. This part is specific to my great, great, grandfather's settling in Iowa, is a first person narrative by Arthur.
"Our own father was named Ebenezer. This was a very common name in Grandmother Price's family and there were several Ebenezer Rawson's. One of Grandmother's brothers was so named, which, I suppose, accounts for our Father's name. Father lived with his folks at Brimfield until he was fourteen years old and the family moved to Knox Co., Ill. There he grew to manhood. While still a very young man, in the year 1849, our father, along with his brother, William and other Knox Co. boys, formed a company call the Jayhawkers and started across the country for the gold fields of California. This was a perilous journey, the dangers and hardships of which we of the present generation cannot realize. Before starting it was agreed that as they only had teams to haul the food and other things necessary for the journey, all should walk unless sickness or accident made it impossible to do so. I have been told that the records show that Ebenezer Price was the only one who walked all the way. After arriving there they dug gold on Gold-Run, a little stream that empties into the Yuba River about 30 miles north of Sacramento, Calif. Here they got together considerable money for that day, and from here, Uncle William, with all his money and a good part of Father's, started home. He was never heard from afterward. Father always believed that Uncle William was murdered for his money. Just before Father died he called Uncle William's only daughter to his bedside and told her that he knew no more about her father than he had already told her, but that he had never had a doubt but that he was dead, and was just as sure as he could be of anything that were he alive he would have come home just as soon as he could have gotten there.
Father remained at Gold Run for five or six weeks after Uncle William left, then made his way down to Sacramento and from there to San Francisco, where he remained for some time. After reading and studying a letter that was written by Father from Portland, Oregon, in December, 1850, I have come to the conclusion that Father was in San Francisco on the day that California was admitted to the Union as a State. It was my privilege, in company with Mrs. Price, to be in San Francisco seventy-five years later to the day when all California celebrated in San Francisco, their 75 years of Statehood in what is known as the Diamond Jubilee of Calif. Father remained at San Francisco a few weeks longer, then made his way by sailboat to Portland, Ore., a journey that required, on account of contrary winds, about six weeks time. It was from this place that he wrote the letter referred to above, in which he said: "This Portland will be quite a port when they get the stumps out of the streets."
The following year, viz 1851, father decided to return home. His first thought was to return by the way of the Orient, but he later decided to work his way south along the Coast to a point near where the Panama Canal now is, and from there, in company with an Indian Guide, walked across the Isthmus to some seaport on the Gulf of Mexico. From there he took a ship to New York and then came home, mostly by rail, where he found his brother had never returned.
After reaching home I have no record of what he did until he came to Iowa in 1854 and settled on the North West Quarter of Section 20, Township 70, Range 25W.5th P.M. The title to this land he acquired from the Federal Government by Patent signed by Benjamin Harrison, then President of the United States. This Patent I have seen many times. It was written on parchment, commonly known as Sheepskin. It was in my possession many years, but was finally stolen from my bank box at the time of the robbery at Van Wert a number of years ago.
On this piece of land our Father, Ebenezer Price, made his home, building with his own hands a little log cabin, ten by twelve, with a small "dug out" cellar in the center. Here he lived alone, toiling early and late, making rails with which to fence his farm, breaking prairie sod on his own land and on the land of others, till the year 1858, when, after building a more commodious house, he was united in marriage to Sarah Melissa Tift [the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index lists a Ebenezer Price marrying Sarah M. Teft], daughter of James and Rozilla Tift. (Records indicate she was an orphan who had been raised by a Mr. & Mrs. Bliss.) The wedding occurred on the 16 day of September, 1858, in Knox City, Illinois. Soon after this our father brought his young wife, who was only 15, to their new home in Iowa, where they spent the blessed happy years of their married life together.
Frances Edna Price was the first child born to this union on the 26th day of August, 1861. At this time the War of the Rebellion was in progress. Our father answered the call of President Lincoln for volunteers in 1862 and on the 13th day of August of that year enlisted in the service of the United States, to serve for three years or to the close of the war. He was assigned to Company D, Thirty Ninth Iowa Infantry, under Captain Bennett. In the course of his service he came to be under the command of William Tecumseh Sherman and was in a unit in that great army that made the historic March to the Sea. After that, he, with his Company, made his way to Washington, D.C., where he had part in the great parade at the close of the war. He received his discharge in the city of Washington on the 5th day of June, 1865.
Coming home he took up, again, his occupation as a farmer. Following in the footsteps of his father, he helped to establish a Christian Church at Van Wert and was a charter member and an Elder. On the 16th day of April, 1867, was born to this happy pair their first son, Arthur Elva Price, (the writer of this history) and a little over two years later, on the 14th day of July, was born the second son, Clarence Jerome Price. Again, after two years, on the 31st of March 1872, was born another son. He was named Ira Festus Price, making in all, four children born to this union. This happy home in its entirety only continued till the fall of that year, for on the 6th day of October, 1872, the husband and father, Ebenezer Price, died, being at the time of his death only 43 years, 11 months and 10 days old. It is thought he died of acute appendicitis. Our mother lived to struggle on in the care of her children. She was of Scotch-Irish stock and to a greater extent than we could then realize, she gave herself in sacrifice for her children until death claimed her. She died on the 2nd day of October, 1886, when only 43 years, 1 month and 10 days old.
Many years have passed since that day, but the four children of this noble pair are still living. How much we owe to our parents, who were of noble birth, of sturdy pioneer stock and of strong Christian faith, we can never know. How well we have used our talents and improved our opportunities, perhaps those who come after will be better able to say than I, who write these words in this, the year of our Lord, 1929. I therefore lay down my pen in the hope that others who love the story as I love it, will, in turn, take it up and carry the story on to the end."
From the 1882 History of the State of Nebraska - Gage County, by Andreas. [Contributed by Bob Miller.]
JAY F. PRICE, book store. Was born in Knoxville, Knox County, Ill., in 1848, in which State he lived until 1872, when he went to California and located in Sacramento Valley, and was employed by the Central Pacific Railroad Company as local freight agent until 1877, when he leased the California, Pacific & Northern Railroad, and handled all the grain on the two lines of road from 1877 until 1880, when he turned the business over to his brother and came to Nebraska on a visit, and concluded to settle there, opening a bookstore in Beatrice, in 1880, with a stock of $2,500. Meeting with good success, has since invested, in all, $3,500 cash in the business. His sales have increased 25 per cent per annum. In 1874, was married at Knoxville, Ill., to Miss Emma Ewing, of that place. They have three children--Ewing, Pansy and Bessie. Mr. P. is a member of the Beatrice Lodge, No. 26, A., F. & A. M., and of the I. O. O. F., and of the A. O. U. W.
From the 1886 Portrait and Biographical Album of Knox County, Biographical Publishing Company, Chicago, page 987. [Submitted by Donna Smith.]
Dr. Elijah F. Purdum, a practicing physician of Abingdon since 1876, was born in Montgomery County, Md., Oct. 14, 1839, and is a son of Nathan and Rebecca (Etchison) Purdum. His father was born in Maryland and was descended from the French. His mother was born in the same county as her son, and was descended from the English and Irish.
Our subject went to Guernsey County, Ohio, when eight years of age. He began the study of medicine in 1859, with Dr. Francis Rea, of Washington, Ohio; enlisted in July, 1861, in Co. F, 30th Ohio Vol. Inf., serving until Oct. 30, 1862, and was discharged for physical disability resulting from typhoid fever. He took a regular course at the Medical College of Ohio, at Cincinnati, graduating in the Class of 1863, July 6. He passed an examination before the Medical Board of Examiners of Ohio, within a few days after graduating, with so creditable a record that he was recommended as being qualified to serve as Regimental Surgeon. Not having had the necessary experience, he was disqualified for the position, but was commissioned Assistant Surgeon of the 89th Ohio Vol. Inf. The appointment was a compliment to the young Doctor, as it was unsought, the receipt of his commission and orders being the first intimation he had of the matter. He re-entered the service under his commission, July 24, 1863, and was captured at the battle of Chickamauga, Sept. 20, 1863. His whole regiment was either killed, wounded or captured, and not re-organized again until the following December. After his capture Dr. Purdum was taken to Richmond and held a prisoner at Libby Prison, in that city, for two months and a few days. He was then exchanged, and in December rejoined his regiment. He served in the Army of the Cumberland, 14th Army Corps, under Gen. Stedman. His army record is one his friends are proud of.
He was mustered out June 28, 1865. In October of that year he removed to Abingdon, Ill., and spent the winter of 1865-66 in that city, and the following spring took up his residence in the town of Hermon, Knox Co., where he was engaged in practice until 1876, when he returned to Abingdon and has since made that city his home, and has pursued his practice successfully. Dr. Purdum was married in Washington, Guernsey Co., Ohio, July 4, 1865, to Miss Callie Swan, daughter of Edward and Caroline Swan. Mrs. Purdum was born in Belmont County, Ohio. Her people were natives of Loudon County, Va. Dr. and Mrs. Purdum have one child, a son, Charles W., born in Hermon.