From the 1886 Portrait and Biographical Album of Knox County, Biographical Publishing Company, Chicago, page 698. [Contributed by Todd Walter.]
J. G. LAFFERTY, of the firm of Lass, Larson & Lafferty, wall paper merchants, hangers and decorators, of Galesburg, Ill., was born at Ottawa, Ill., Nov. 25, 1850. His parents, James and Mary (Bassnette) Lafferty, natives respectively of Ireland and England, reared two sons and five daughters, J. G. being the eldest of the sons. He was taught at the public schools of his native place, where he also learned the trade of a paper-hanger and painter, at each of which he early became recognized as quite skillful, if not an expert.
He came to Galesburg in 1876, and in 1884 became a member of the present firm. He was married at Lewiston, Fulton Co., Ill., in May, 1883, to Miss Mary Shugart, a native of Ohio [the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index lists a John G. Lafferty marrying a Mace Shugart in Knox County on May 10, 1883].
From the 1886 Portrait and Biographical Album of Knox County, Biographical Publishing Company, Chicago
From the 1918 A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, William E. Connelley, Secretary of the Kansas State Historical Society, Lewis Publishing Company. [Contributed by Todd Walter.]
ISAAC E. LAMBERT, SR., whose tragic death in the burning of the Copeland Hotel at Topeka in 1908 is generally recalled, was in his time one of the most prominent attorneys of Kansas and stood in the forefront of his profession and also as a public leader. His son, Isaac E. Lambert Jr., is also a lawyer, a resident of Emporia, and is now serving as chief clerk of the Kansas House of Representatives.
At the time of his death Isaac E. Lambert, Sr. was fifty-five years of age and in the prime of his powers. He was born in Knoxville, Illinois, in 1853, spent his early youth there, and graduated LL. B. from the Northwestern University Law School at Chicago. He began practice in Peoria, Illinois, where for a time he was in the office of the noted Robert Ingersoll. Coming to Kansas in 1875 he located in Emporia and soon had acquired a reputation and successful general practice. He was especially noted as a criminal lawyer, though for many years his practice was corporation work. The Santa Fe Railroad Company employed him as its attorney with jurisdiction over twenty-two counties from Lyon County to the western limits of the state. He was also attorney for the National Hereford Association and for a number of other associations and corporations.
He served at one time as United States district attorney of Kansas, was postmaster of Emporia during Benjamin Harrison's administration. As a republican he was prominent both in county and state politics and was a delegate to the national convention that nominated William McKinley. He belonged to the Methodist Church and to Emporia Lodge No. 633, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. Aside from his profession his favorite interest was the raising of blooded cattle and horses. He owned some extensive ranch properties, and his name was familiar to horsemen's circles as the owner of Baron Wilkes, one of the famous trotting horses of his time.
Mr. Lambert married Hattie Barnes, who was born in Grand Haven, Michigan, 1856. They were married at Grand Rapids, Michigan. Mrs. Lambert died at Emporia in 1907. Her seven children were: Eddie and William, both of whom died in infancy; Boyd, who accidentally shot himself at the age of fourteen; Hattie, who died in infancy; Caroline, wife of J. B. Root, an insurance man at Emporia; Isaac E. Jr.; Calvin, now a senior in the University of California at Berkeley. A short time before his death Isaac E. Lambert, Sr., married Miss Milson Cutler, who was a first cousin of his first wife. She now resides in Berkeley, California.
Isaac E. Lambert, Jr.; was born in Emporia, Lyon County, Kansas, April 12, 1890, and though only twenty-six years of age has acquired considerable prestige for his name and ability. He graduated from the Emporia High School in 1908 and took his LL. B. degree from the University of Kansas Law School in 1912. Following this came one year of post-graduate work in the University of Chicago, and since his admittance to the bar in 1913 he has handled a general practice at Emporia, with offices in the Whitley Building.
Since reaching his majority he has been interested in republican politics, and is gaining valuable experience as chief clerk of the House of Representatives. He is a member of the Episcopal Church and is affiliated with Emporia Lodge No. 12, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; Emporia Lodge No. 633, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; Emporia Lodge of the Knights of Pythias; Emporia Tent No. 749 of the Knights of the Maccabees; Emporia Tent No. 20, Woodmen of the World; and Emporia Tent No. 615, Modern Woodmen of America. He also belongs to the college fraternity Phi Delta Theta. In his profession he is serving as attorney for the Emporia Retailers' Association and also for the State Retailers' Association. He is an active member of the Lyon County Bar Association. On April 17, 1915, Mr. Lambert was married at Junction City; Kansas, to Miss Sarah Roark, daughter of W. S. Roark, who is a prominent attorney with offices both in Junction City and Topeka.
From the 1886 Portrait and Biographical Album of Knox County, Biographical Publishing Company, Chicago, page 555. [Contributed by Pat Thomas.]
Swan Larson. A summary of the lives of many of the residents of Knox County is given in her records, and goes to show what claim may be made to genuine manhood, citizenship and a place among the active workers in life. Among these none is better fitted to draw forth approbation than that of our subject, whose home is situated on section 11, Copley Township, and who is an American by adoption and a farmer by occupation.
Mr. Larson was born in Sweden, March 21, 1821 and his parents were Lewis and Christine (Swanson) Larson. They came to the United States in 1856, and settled at Bishop Hill, Henry Co., Ill., at which place the mother died in 1850. The father came to America and lived with the son Swan until his death, in 1859.
The subject of this sketch was under the parental roof until he reached boyhood, being but 15 years of age, and attending school in the meantime. After leaving home, he worked about on farms until he came to America, in the spring of 1846. Here he remained working at farming in New York State, until August of the same year. He then came to Illinois, and, spending a few weeks in Copley Township, decided that he could find no location more desirable. He then went to Bishop Hill, Henry Co., but only remained eight weeks. He then removed to LaFayette, Stark County, and stayed one year. Removing from there, he went to Galesburg and engaged to work in a wagon-shop. There he remained three years. He then went to Copley Township and rented land for 18 months, but the country was of delightful soil and climate, so, in partnership with his brother, the purchase of 160 acres was made. This land lay on section 2, in Copley Township, and there he lived for about two years. He afterward sold out his half to the brother, who remained on the place, while Swan Larson moved to Victoria village. There he purchased a house and lot. To this he added 80 acres in Walnut Grove Township, on section 36, and moved onto the same and lived there continuously for ten years. He has improved, beautified and modernized the place, until one would hardly know it for the same; but after laying out this labor upon it he again sold, purchasing the spot where he now lives; 160 acres are included in the grounds, and to it he has since added 80 acres, and he now has an extensive landed estate. He has a fine residence and barns on his place, costing him nearly $4,000.
He was united in the bonds of wedlock with Miss Catherine Oleson, a native of Sweden, who was born on the 17th of May, 1830. Mrs. Larson is the daughter of Olaf and Catherine (Matson) Oleson. Mr. Oleson died in 1835, and the mother came to America in 1846, where she died the same year.
Mr. and Mrs. Larson, of this writing , have a family of six children, all living and named as follows: Mary A., David E., Emma J., Frank A., Harvey E., and Henry V. E. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Larson are located as follows: Mary A., now Mrs. Sedarburg is the mother of five children - Caroline E., Warner, Edna, Rena and Hester. David E. married Susan Swigart, and they are the parents of two children - Fred and Ruth B. Emma J., now Mrs. Swanburg, has three children - Lila A., Rosa E. and Edith C.
Mr. Larson is among the foremost men in the county in shrewdness, thrift and enterprise, and he is well suited to any office to which he may be elected, and worthy the confidence of any who may bestow it upon him. He, with his wife, belongs to the Swedish Methodist Episcopal Church, and they take an active interest in the religious matters of the community. In politics he is a Greenbacker, and holds strong, sensible ideas. He is Overseer of Highways, and under his management the public roads are in good condition, as whatever Mr. Larson undertakes will be well done.
From the 1878 History of Knox County, Illinois published by Charles C. Chapman. [Contributed by Joan Achille.]
J. S. LATIMER. A dealer in thoroughbred stock, P.O. Abingdon; he was born in Cedar Twp., Knox County, in 1836. His father, A Latimer, was one of the first settlers in the county. He attended the log school-house in 1846, and Cherry Grove Seminary in 1850. In 1856, he went to Minnesota with an ox team and was one of the first settlers of Faribault County, with Indians as neighbors. He engaged in the war against the Sioux in 1862. He was detailed to buy cattle for the Government. He returned to Knox County to the farm known as Cedar Farm which he bought in 1867. Since has been foremost in raising fine cattle and hogs.
From the 1895 Memorial Record of the Counties of Faribault, Martin, Watonwan, and Jackson, Minnesota, The Lewis Publishing Company: Chicago, pp. 186-187. [Contributed by Margaret Jenstad.]"Hon. Jacob Alexander Latimer, a well-known and highly respected citizen of Faribault County, Minnesota, may rightly be classed with the self-made men of his county. We take pleasure in presenting the following sketch of his life to the readers of this work.
Jacob Alexander Latimer was born in Madison County, Tennessee, April 20, 1827, son of Jonathan and Nancy (West) Latimer, the former a native of Tennessee and a son of Connecticut parents, and the latter born in North Carolina. When he was three years of age his parents removed from Tennessee to Sangamon County, Illinois, and three years later to Knox County, same state, where the father and mother passed the residue of their lives and died. Jonathan Latimer was among the pioneer farmers of Illinois, and he was also for some years engaged in mercantile business. And while he was occupied in the store, his eldest son, Jacob A., took charge of the farm, having the entire management of it when he was fifteen, and continuing in charge until his marriage, which event occurred in 1850.
After his marriage Mr. Latimer farmed for a few years, and then turned his attention to the lumber and livery business at Abingdon, Illinois, in which he was engaged for some time. In April, 1857, he came to Minnesota and bought 160 acres on section 11, Winnebago City township, Faribault County, where he now lives. Soon afterward he pre-empted an adjoining 160 acres in the same section, and later bought more land adjoining him until he at one time owned a whole section. He has since divided with his children, and at this writing his farm comprises 230 acres of choice land, all well improved. At the time he located here Mr. Latimer had but little means and for some years he and his family lived in true pioneer style, meeting with many difficulties and enduring not a few privations. His first house, a log cabin, built on the site of his present residence, was roofed with bark and clapboards, while the ground served for the floor and hay for a carpet.
In early life Mr. Latimer was an Abolitionist, and when the Republican party sprang into existence he allied himself with it and assisted in its local organization. He was a member of the first Republican State Convention in Illinois. He has always been a prohibitionist in principle, and of recent years has been identified with the Prohibition Party. At one time he was prominently connected with the Farmers' Alliance. In 1858 he was elected to the State Legislature by the Republican party, and in 1860 was re-elected, but served one term only; and in 1862 was elected to the Senate, in which honorable body he served one term. Previous to that he filled various local offices. Mr. Latimer is a member of the Presbyterian Church at Amboy, and for many years has been an Elder in the Church.
He was married February 21, 1850, to Miss Julia Ann Meek, a native of Knox County, Illinois, and a daughter of Daniel and Nancy (Killim) Meek, the former of German and the latter of Swiss descent. Their happy union has resulted in the birth of seven children, six of whom are living, namely: Daniel A., a farmer of Winnebago City Township; Nancy, wife of Phenias F. Bornt, a farmer of same township; Mary E., wife of William Sanders, also a farmer of this township; John, of Minneapolis; Frank, who has charge of the home farm; and Edith, wife of Harry Stoner, of Amboy."
From the 1878 History of Knox County, Illinois published by Charles C. Chapman. [Contributed by Joan Achille.]
JOHN CARSON LATIMER. A farmer, he was born in Robinson County, TN, on 18 Aug 1812, the son of Joseph and Anna (Dobbins) Latimer, the former a native of Connecticut, the latter of South Carolina. His educational opportunities in youth were very limited, not being able to write intelligibly until after he was married. He was encouraged to pursue study by County Surveyor Denny, to who he feels greatly indebted. He came to Knox County in 1831. He married Ann Pierce on 5 Jan 1834. They are the parents of four sons and six daughters. He united with the M. E. Church in 1834, changed to the Christian in 1842. He has held the offices of Supervisor and J. P. He is a Republican. P.O. Abingdon.
From the 1878 History of Knox County, Illinois published by Charles C. Chapman. [Contributed by Joan Achille.]
HON. JOSEPH F. LATIMER. There is perhaps no family more widely known and respected, living in Knox County, than that of which the subject of this sketch is an honored member. For nearly half a century the Latimer family has been closely allied to the interests of this county. In 1831, Elder Joseph Latimer, the grandfather came to the county and settled in Cedar Twp. Soon thereafter in 1832, came Jonathan Latimer, the father. He also located in Cedar Twp. Jonathan was born in Robinson Co, TN, 29 May 1803, and was the eldest of 5 sons. His parents were Joseph and Anna (Dobbins) Latimer. His grandfather was a Colonel in the Revolutionary War, and his 12 sons served under him. Jonathan Latimer was married to Miss Nancy West in 1825, came to Sangamon County, Illinois, in 1829, and to Knox Co in 1832. There were but four families in Cedar Twp at the time he located there. He made a profession of religion early in life and lived a consistent zealous Christian man until his death. He was one of the original members and Elders of the Cherry Grove Seminary, was noted for his large, noble, benevolent heart, every ready to help the poor, and full of sympathy and love for his fellow men. None knew better than he and his devoted, energetic wife, the hardships and sacrifices of pioneer life. On the same place where they settled they reared ten children. seven of whom are now living. Jonathan Latimer passed from earth 4 Aug 1866, leaving as a rich legacy a blessed memory. Joseph F. Latimer, whose portrait is in this volume, was born at Abingdon, this County, on 15 Apr 1840. His father, although poor when he came to the county had accumulated a goodly fortune ere his death. The early life of Joseph was passed upon a farm in summer and in attendance at school in the winter. He then entered Knox College, graduating with honor in the class of 1864. Immediately thereafter--June 5--he enlisted in Co. G., 137th IL Inf., as 2nd Lieutenant. On returning home he was chosen Principal of Cherry Grove Seminary. In 1866, he was elected member of the Legislature from the 22nd District for the years 1871-1872. Again in 1877-8 he served an honorable term in the House of Representatives and is again re-elected this fall. He was married to Joanna Humiston and two children have blessed this union. He made a profession of religion in 1862, and is connected with the Presbyterian Church at Abingdon. He is a Republican.
From the 1878 History of Knox County, Illinois published by Charles C. Chapman, page 689. [Contributed by Joan Achille.]
Christopher H. Levalley, farmer, is the son of John and Betsey Ann (Durham) Levalley of New York State. He was born in Schoharie co., N. Y., May 7, 1815. He has spent his life in farming and working at the cooper's trade. He married Harriet Gaines Jan. 18, 1837. They have a family of 7 daughters and 1 son; came to Illinois, and settled in Copley township in 1842. Since 1843 he has been a member of the Congregational Church, and a Trustee for many years. Republican. P.O., Victoria.
From the 1886 Portrait and Biographical Album of Knox County, Biographical Publishing Company, Chicago. [Contributed by Bob Miller.]
TAYLOR LINN. Page 966.
From the 1886 Portrait and Biographical Album of Knox County, Biographical Publishing Company, Chicago, page 628. [Contributed by Pat Thomas.]
Benjamin Lombard, Jr., President of the Lombard Investment Company, Boston, Mass., and London, Eng.; President of the Bank of Creston, Creston, Iowa; President of the Kansas State Bank, Wichita, Kan.; and the head of the banking house of Lombard Brothers, Kansas City, Mo., was born at Truro, Cape Cod, Mass., May 30, 1836.
The Lombards came to England with William the Conquerer [sic], and the name has been familiar in London for centuries. The immediate ancestor of the subject of our sketch was David Lombard, native of Cape Cod, town of Truro, where he was born Nov. 16, 1796. He was a seafaring man and most of his life was spent on the ocean as captain of a vessel. He was married at Truro, Dec. 10, 1820. His wife, nee Anna Gross, was also a native of Cape Cod, tracing her ancestry back to the Puritans. Capt. Lombard and wife lived together over 61 years, Mrs. Lombard dying in October, 1881. They reared four sons and two daughters, Benjamin Lombard, Jr. being the youngest of the family.
Benjamin Lombard, Jr., our subject, was but nine years of age when he began as clerk in a general store and was there so employed for several years, spending the winter, however, at the district schools. In 1849 he came West and began work in a land office with is uncle, at Henry, Marshall Co., Ill., at a salary of $175 a year, out of which he paid $1.25 per week for his board. When we are told that he saved money from his first year's earnings, the key to much of his success is at hand. Simply unadulterated economy laid the foundation of his fortune. His great operations in life, where thousands and thousands of dollars have been involved, of course were not influenced by economy, but economy formed his ground plan. For two years he was employed upon the records and abstracts of titles of the Military Tract in Illinois, and while working at this he was shrewd enough to recognize the opportunities offered for speculation. He was about 16 years of age when he made his first investment of lands in the Military Tract, and the deal netted him $3,700.
After finishing the record work, our subject traveled for his old employers until he was 22 years of age. About this time, or on October 5, 1858, he was married at Cambridge, Mass., to Miss Julia E. Lombard, daughter of the late Benjamin Lombard, founder of the Lombard University, Galesburg, Illinois. After marriage he made his residence near Boston, making journeys Westward, occasionally on business, and in 1861, located at Galesburg. Here he dealt largely in real estate, with fortune always in his favor. In fact it appears that from boyhood to this writing, (June 1886) everything that Benjamin Lombard Jr. has touched turned to gold.
Our subject was one of the early stockholders in the First National Bank at Galesburg, and was many years its Vice-President. In 1873 he started the bank at Creston, Iowa, and in 1882 organized the Lombard Investment Company, the largest institution of the kind in the United States. Their investments will average $750,000 per month, and while in the aggregate it amounts to millions, no man has ever lost a dollar by them. His bank at Wichita, Kan., was started in January, 1881, and the Kansas City house some time late. In addition to these large financial concerns over which he presides, his landed interests are immense. He has upward of 10,000 acres of land, under cultivation by tenantry and otherwise, and his unimproved lands in Kansas, Iowa, and Nebraska would, if thrown together, rival in area the State of Rhode Island. The writer knows that Mr. Lombard would protest against this publication if he could, but it is a license we sometimes take, especially when as a chronicler of facts to be read by unknown thousands, both in America and Europe, we wish to illustrate by example the unparalleled possibilities of the youth of our country, be their start in life ever so poor. This is sufficient apology for the brief mention made of the financial success of the most remarkable man in Galesburg.
Mr. Lombard's sons are named respectively William Alden, who is secretary of the Lombard Investment Co.; Harry Dana, an extensive stock farmer residing in Monona County, Iowa; Martin Gay, a student; and a daughter, Hazel. The Eastern residence of Mr. Lombard in at Brookline, Mass.
From the 1886 Portrait and Biographical Album of Knox County, Biographical Publishing Company, Chicago, page 541. [Contributed by Pat Thomas.]
Abram Lotts, deceased. The subject of this personal narration, who, while living, occupied a wide field of usefulness, was one of the most prominent and worthy citizens of Knox County. His home lies on section 5, in Haw Creek Township, and in his particular line of labor he was remarkably successful. Years of persistent industry and unremitting and arduous labor had brought him landed possessions, and the wife and family who were left to mourn his loss were well provided for in this world's goods.
Mr. Lotts was born in Ohio, and met his death at the hands of Indians at Ophir, near Ft. Benton, in Montana. He was killed while on a prospecting tour, in company with ten other men, being surrounded by a hostile band of Indians. All were buried in the same grave. This sad event occurred May 25, 1865. His widow, Mary P. (Carey) Lotts, with the assistance of her son, William, carries on the farm. Mrs. Lotts has shown herself to be a woman of much energy of purpose and activity, and the farm under her direction is a credit to her. She and her deceased husband were united in marriage April 15, 1858, in Knox County, Ill.
Mrs. Lotts is the daughter of Luther and Jane (Wilson) Carey, and she was born in Champaign County, Ohio, Jan. 30, 1840. The union was crowned by the birth of three children - Ion Helena, born January 29, 1860, who is the wife of John J. Powell, residing in Johnson County, Neb.; Isaac E., born Aug. 12, 1860, who died March 6, 1880, at the early age of 20 years; and William, born Oct. 10, 1862, who is her most valued support and helper. Mrs. Lotts afterward married Sanford Townsend, a physician, and of this marriage, two children have been born - Reece C., born Aug. 25, 1867; Mary Jane, born Feb. 3, 1869. Her second husband left his family with the boy, Reece, in 1870.
Mrs. Lotts is in possession of 160 acres of finely cultivated land, lying on section 5, which is bounteously productive, and also 15 acres of timber land, five situated in Haw Creek and ten in Orange Township. She has a neat and substantial frame dwelling house and convenient out-buildings. She is an earnest and consistent Christian, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
From the 1899 Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and Knox County, Munsell Publishing Company.
WILLIAM OWEN LOVEJOY, whose name immediately suggests relationship with one who was famous in the earlier annuals of Illinois, was born near Quincy, February 13, 1841. His father, Jabez Lovejoy, was a farmer, and a cousin of Owen and Elijah Lovejoy. The mother of William Lovejoy was Catherine Waldron, a descendant of a German baronial house. In 1830, the parents removed from Schoharie County, New York, to Adams County, Illinois, and settled on one hundred and sixty acres of land deeded to Mr. Lovejoy by his sister, the widow of General Leavenworth. When William was a boy ten years of age, his parents died, and he was sent to live with an uncle in Dutchess County, New York. He received a common school education, and spent one term in the Oxford Academy, Oxford, Connecticut. He afterwards took the entire four years' Chautauqua course, in the "Pioneer" class.
William O. Lovejoy's first employment after leaving school was as a clerk in a store at Brooklyn, New York, and later in New York City. He was afterwards employed as clerk on his uncle's steamboat, which carried freight on the Hudson River, between Red Hook and New York. In 1862, Mr. Lovejoy returned to the old homestead in Illinois, and for several years managed the farm. In 1870, he entered the Galesburg offices of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, as a telegraph operator. Since 1894, he has been President of the Evening Mail Publishing Company.
Mr. Lovejoy has filled important positions, including those of Town Clerk and Collector, in Honey Creek Township, Adams County, and for nine years he has been City Assessor of Galesburg. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity and is a Knight Templar; he also belongs to the Order of United Workmen; and to the Modern Woodmen of America. In these various organizations, he has been honored with high official work; he is Generalissimo in the Galesburg Commandery, K. T.; Secretary, Royal Arch Masons; Master Workman, A. O. U. W.; Venerable Counsel, M.W.A.; and Representative to the Grand Council in both orders.
In his religious connections, Mr. Lovejoy is a member of the Central Congregational Church of Galesburg. He has always been a republican in politics.
September 3, 1862, Mr. Lovejoy was married to Elizabeth A. Near, a native of Dutchess County, New York. She is of German descent. Their only child, a son, died in infancy.
From the Wed. June 28, 1922, Galesburg Evening Mail. [Contributed by C. Foster. Henry Lutz was her gg grandfather - born in 1850 in Pennsylvania; married in October 26,1873 to Mary Isabell Davis in Knox County.]
Inquest Held Over Body of Henry Lutz
Henry Lutz. It was decided by a coroner's jury that met at the home of Henry Lutz, who dropped dead Tuesday morning while working in a drift mine at the farm of Frank Davis, near Maquon, that death was due to heart trouble. The inquest was held at Lutz residence at Rapatee Tuesday afternoon.
There were two witnesses, the first being Harley Lutz, a son, who stated that his father was born April 30, 1850 in Pennsylvania. He said that the past two years his father had been bothered with spells at which time he would be short of breath and felt distress about the heart. He was distressed about the heart. He was satisfied that this illness was the cause of his father's death.
The second to testify was William (blurred) Mertz, who operated the coal mine where Lutz was employed. He said that Mr. Lutz had worked for him for 11 days. The last two days he had noticed that the man would lose his breath very easily and would have to stop and rest. Tuesday morning, he related, Lutz had seated himself for a moment and explained that he felt weak. Mr. Mertz said that a moment later he arose and said that he felt relieved of pain. He then picked up a fork and had thrown some coal in a wagon when he fell backwards to the ground, dying almost instantly.