From the 1899 Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and Knox County, Munsell Publishing Company, page 845. [Contributed by Pat Thomas.]
Alexander Frank Adams; Farmer, Sparta Township; born in Henderson Township, Knox County, March 7, 1842; educated in common schools. His parents were James Adams, of North Carolina, and Sarah (Miller) Adams of Indiana. He was married in Lewis County, New York, to Elizabeth Woolworth. Their children are, Birney H. and Fred C. His parents settled in Rio Township in 1841, and entered Government land in the Military Tract and paid for it twice. The father was a successful farmer and died on the homestead July 1, 1879, aged seventy-three years; the mother died in 1846, aged forty-five years. The father was three times married. He was a republican. In religion he was a Methodist. The children by the first marriage are: Wilson, Caroline, William, John, Lucinda, Alexander Frank, Phelps and Sarah Adams; the children by his marriage with Melba Haynes are: James, Lida and Julia. Mr. Alexander F. Adams has a fine farm of one hundred acres, and is a successful farmer. He paid $60 an acre for his land, which was entered by his uncle Ruben Robbins in 1837. Mr. Adams belongs to the church of the Second Adventists. In politics he is a republican.
From the 1899 Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and Knox County, Munsell Publishing Company, page 895. [Contributed by Bobbie (Barb).]
Alfred G. ADAMS; Farmer; Elba Township; born in Lawrence County, Illinois, August 5, 1833; educated in the common schools. His father was Samuel Adams of Tennessee, and his mother was Elizabeth (Chenowith) Adams of Kentucky; his maternal grandparents were Absalom and Duval Chenowith. Mr. Adams was married in Lawrence County, December 1, 1859, to Matilda Bardon. She was born May 15, 1833, and was the daughter of John and Nancy (Melton) Bardon, now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Adams children are: Charles Francis (adopted), born June 18,1860; James Wesley, born October 3, 1860; Fanny Jane, born March 7, 1863; Samuel Winfield, born March 12, 1868. Mr. Adams has a large and productive stock farm of two hundred and eighty acres in Section 20. His is a democrat, and was Road Commissioner for eighteen years, Constable for six years, and Assessor for two terms. He is a member of Germania Lodge, No. 448, Yates City. His Father was Colonel in the Black Hawk War. Samuel W. Adams was married to Kittie Wilson. They have two children, Forest Glenn and James Alvin.
Contributed by Judy Weaver.
James Alen Adams was born in 1830, probably in Lawrence County, which is located in east Illinois. He was just sixteen years old when both of his parents, Samuel and Elizabeth Adams, died in 1846. Four years later in 1850, I find James A. Adams enumerated on the 1850 U.S. Census with the William Adams family in Lawrence County. William Adams was James' Uncle, the brother of Samuel. James as well as the other children of Samuel and Elizabeth went to live with friends and relatives after the death of his parents. In 1860 James A. Adams appeared on the Knox County, Illinois census. Between 1850 and 1854 James migrated to Knox County, Illinois. Here he married Amelia Jones on 29 June 1854 [the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index lists a James A. Adams marrying a Amelia M. Jones in Knox County on June 29, 1854]. Amelia was the daughter of Leonard Jones and Permelia Putnam. James A. Adams was the Elba Township Supervisor in 1866.
James was a member of the Yates City Masonic Lodge #448 in 1873. Although Freemasonry is not a religious organization, Master Masons believe that faith must be the center of their lives. They believe that all people are the children of God, and that no one has the right to tell another person what he or she must think or believe. They believe each person has a responsibility to be a good citizen and that Honor and Integrity are the keys to a meaningful life. On December 3, 1874 James obtained his third degree. When a person takes his third degree he becomes a "Master Mason", this is the highest degree in Masonry.
One of the first churches to hold services in Elba was the Methodist Episcopal Church. Prior to the erection of the church building, services were held at parishioner's homes. James and Amelia attended the Methodist Church in Nebraska and probably began their affiliation in Elba. James would not allow anyone to call him "Jim". He said his name was in the bible and that "Jim" was not.
James and Amelia moved to Iowa in 1879. Their two oldest sons, Albert and Arthur and their wives remained in Knox County until after 1880 where they were found still living in Elba, Illinois. The other children went with their parents to Iowa. In 1882 James demitted from the Yates City, Illinois Masonic Lodge, and in August 1883 his membership was transferred to York Nebraska Lodge No. 56.
Just before his death in 1897, James and Amelia traveled to Colorado to visit with his daughter. It's not clear if they planned to live there, but James was advised that the mountain air was detrimental to his health and that he should return to Nebraska. He died on March 22nd, just days after his return.
From the 1899 Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and Knox County, Munsell Publishing Company, page 797. [Contributed by Pat Thomas.]
Wilson R. Adams; Farmer; Rio Township; born in Indiana, September 22, 1834; educated in Illinois; his parents were James and Sarah (Miller) Adams, of North Carolina. He was married to Sarelda J. Rusk in Knox County, March 6, 1856 [the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index lists a Wilson Adams marrying a Sarilda J. Rusk in Knox County on February 28, 1856]. Their children are: Rosa G., Henry M., Ida R., Eddie A., E. Otis, Sarah A., and Clyde W. Theron died in infancy. Mr. Adams is a member of the Methodist Church. In politics, he is a democrat. He has held the office of Road Commissioner.
From the 1886 Portrait and Biographical Album of Knox County, Biographical Publishing Company, Chicago, page 489. [Contributed by Todd Walter.]
ZIBA H. ADAMS. Everywhere throughout the boundaries of Knox County, look which way you will from its center, one can see as fine farms as are to be found in any county in the state. But a few short years ago, where we now behold beautiful houses and splendid improvements, it was all one broad uncultivated tract of prairie land. It is therefore to the agricultural class mainly that the wonderful advancement which the county has made during the last 50 years is due. As a representative of the class spoken of and a large land-owner in the county, as well as a respected and honored citizen and energetic follower in his chosen vocation, we take pleasure in mentioning the name of Mr. Adams, who resides on section 17, of Elba Township.
Ziba H. Adams is the son of Hazard and Elizabeth (Wort) Adams, natives of the New England States. The parents settled in Ohio, where the father followed the calling of farmer and where both heads of the family died. The children were nine in number, and Ziba was the third in order of birth. He was born in Luzerne County, Pa., Sept. 20, 1820.
Ziba Adams was quite young when his parents removed from Pennsylvania to Ohio. There he lived, attending the common schools, developing into manhood and working on the farm until about 1846. He then came to this county and made a settlement in Persifer Township, where he was occupied in agricultural pursuits for about eight years. From the latter township he removed to Elba and settled on a tract of land on section 17, where he has since made his home. He is the proprietor of 746 1/2 acres of land in this county, and on his home farm has a fine residence, barn and other necessary out-buildings, and surrounded by a happy family he is enjoying the fruits of a laborious and honorable past.
Mr. Adams was married in Persifer Township, April 8, 1847, to Delilah Gullett [the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index lists a Ziba Adams marrying a Delia Gullett in Knox County on April 9, 1846], daughter of Joshua and Barbara (Housh) Gullett, natives of North Carolina and Kentucky respectively. Her parents came to this county in 1844, and first made settlement in Maquon Township, from whence they removed to Persifer Township, where their lives on earth were ended. They had seven children, and Mrs. Adams of this notice was the sixth in order of birth. She was born in Putnam County, Indiana, Dec. 17, 1835, and their children have likewise been seven in number, named Barbara E., Mary A., Angeline, Villa M., John A., Austin and Clara M. Angeline died when four years of age; Barbara is the wife of Enoch Dalton, a farmer of Elba Township; Mary married Henry Perkins, a resident of Nebraska; Villa became Mrs. Jacob Gray, and resides in Maquon Township; John, Austin and Clara live on the old homestead. Mr. Adams has held the office of Constable eight years, and other minor offices. In politics he is a stanch and active Republican. He is a man of far more than ordinary ability as an agriculturalist, and what he has of this world's goods he has acquired through his own perseverance and not as the recipient of any legacy.
From the 1878 History of Knox County, Illinois published by Charles C. Chapman, page 647. [Contributed by Joan Achille.]
D. W. Aldrich, MD, is a graduate of Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York, 1874. He was born in Boone county, Ill., April 1, 1848; is the son of William Aldrich and Sarah (Bassett) Aldrich; was a student at Knox College, and in 1869-70 attended Rush Medical College at Chicago; was married Aug. 1, 1872, to Margarette McBride [the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index lists a Dorrance H. Aldrich marrying a Margaretta McBride in Knox County on August 1, 1872], and two children have been the fruits of the marriage; joined the United Baptist Church in 1877; has served as Supervisor and held the office of Coroner of Knox county. Republican in politics. His address is Gilson, where he is engaged in the practice of his profession.
From the 1878 History of Knox County, Illinois published by Charles C. Chapman, page 648. [Contributed by Todd Walter.]
Edwin Allen, son of Calvin and Eunice (Delano) Allen, was born in Farmington, Genesee county, N. Y., June 23, 1813. Removing to Ohio he was educated in the common schools of Madison county. His early life was passed on the farm, and been very successful; was married Dec. 5, 1833, and has been the parent of ten children, of whom nine are living; removed to Illinois in 1837; was School Director three years, and has been Road Commissioner three years; is a Democrat. Postoffice, London Mills, Fulton County.
Obituary taken from the October 3, 1958 Galesburg Register. [Contributed by his great granddaughter – Micky (Miller) Dawson.]
Edwin Allen, 92, Installer of First Lighting System, Dies.
Edwin A. Allen, 92 of 522 N. Academy St., a former electrician and electrical contractor, who installed the first street electric lighting system in Galesburg, died Thursday at 12:30 pm at the Good Samaritan Home, Knoxville. He had been ill eight weeks. The system which Allen installed to inaugurate street lighting by electricity was located in the center of the Public Square. It consisted of a tall pole, to which five arc lights were attached. Electricity for the lights was provided by a generator, placed near Central Church. The generator was acquired from George Westinghouse, with whom Allen had worked on the lighting system for the Columbian Exposition in 1892 at Chicago. Following the exposition, Westinghouse founded the present Westinghouse Electric Co.
Recall Street Cars...
Survivors are a son, James B. Allen, president of the Galesburg Building Trades Council; four grandchildren and nine great grandchildren.
Funeral services will be conducted Saturday at 2 p.m. in the First and Puckett Funeral Home and burial will be in Linwood Cemetery. Friends may call this evening at the funeral home. The Rev. Kermit W. Petersen, pastor of first Presbyterian Church, officiated and organ music was by Mrs. Michael Gravino. Pallbearers were Martin Allen, James Miller, John Miller, and George Dietrick.
From the 1886 Portrait and Biographical Album of Knox County, Biographical Publishing Company, Chicago, page 475. [Contributed by Todd Walter.]
James Allen, one of the leading citizens and most successful farmers of Chestnut Township, owning a large and finely-cultivated farm of 200 acres, situated on section 4, is the subject of this personal history. He is engaged not only in farming, but in the raising of Short-horn cattle and Poland-China hogs, and owns a blooded bull five years old, weighing 2,000 lb., by name "Judge Willetts."
Mr. Allen entered life in Jefferson County, Ind., April 19, 1825. He is the son of Josiah and Jane W. (McDowell) Allen, natives of Kentucky, in which State they were wedded, removing to Indiana in 1810. From that State they emigrated to Illinois in 1838, at which time the subject of this sketch was a boy of 13 years. The mother departed this life in the year 1852, and his father in 1863. Of this matrimonial alliance there were born nine children, six girls and three boys, namely: Rosanna, who married John Moore, and lives in the State of Indiana; Margaret, wife of Alkana Moore, resident of Knoxville, Ill.; Sarah married Jonathon Minor, both deceased; William took to wife America A. Maxey, and lives in Orange Township; Nancy married John Carico, a resident of Bureau County, Ill., and is deceased; Matilda married Alfred Carico, and lives in the State of Iowa; James espoused Miss Sarah M. Bragg, and lives in Chestnut Township; John married Miss Lydia Eperson, and lives in Bureau County, Ill.; Mary N. died at the early age of 16 years.
Mr. Allen the elder settled in Orange Township in 1838. James remained at home on his father's place until after his marriage, when he purchased land in 1862 on section 4, in Chestnut Township, and where he has since remained.
Mr. Allen of this notice, early in manhood, took to wife Miss Sarah M. Bragg, March 16, 1848 [the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index lists a James Allen marrying a Sarah M. Bragg in Knox County on March 16, 1848]. She was born Nov. 30, 1828; she is the daughter of Elias and Mary (Bryant) Bragg, natives of Virginia, who came to Illinois in 1836. They settled in Orange Township, and two years later removed to Chestnut Township. Her father was born in September, 1784, and departed this life Jan 20, 1861, in the State of Illinois. He was a soldier in the War of 1812. The date of her mother's birth was 1789, and she closed her eyes to this existence Sept. 14, 1865. Both she and her husband were of both English and Scottish lineage, and upon them were bestowed 15 children, viz.: Jane, wife of Benjamin McCort; James, who wedded Nancy M. Carter; Elizabeth, who wedded a Mr. Moore; Mary, wife of E. Hall; Abner, who formed a matrimonial alliance with Miss Julia Carpenter; Frances, who married Mr. John Hendricks; John, husband of Miss Sarah Hurley; Harriet, wife of D. Mooers; Matthew died at the early age of 18 years; Mark, at the time of the California gold fever, went to that state and no word has been received from him for a number of years; Joseph married Miss Nancy Heppenstall; Sarah, wife of James Allen, of this sketch; Eliza died at the early age of five years; Andrew, in infancy, was removed from this earth, and there was an infant unnamed.
About the parental hearth of Mr. and Mrs. Allen have grown up three children, although seven were born to them - Francis, born Aug. 24, 1847; Harry, Sept. 30, 1851; Darius, Sept. 7, 1855; Julius, born Aug. 20, 1864; James, Sept. 7, 1867; Frank, Sept., 1872. Four children of the family were deceased in infancy, viz.: Harry, Darius, and two unnamed.
Although the possessor of a handsome property, Mr. Allen has suffered loss through the agency of fire, being once burned out, at which time all the family records were destroyed, and also the records of his farm; the entire detriment to his possessions he estimated at $2000. He began work work in this section of the county in 1861, since which time he has been remarkably successful in his particular line of labor. He is in character moral and upright, and his wife is a member of the United Brethren Church. His parents were, politically, of the old-line Whigs, but Mr. Allen is Democratic in sentiment and belief.
Obituary taken from the January 17, 1901 Galesburg Register. [Contributed by his great, great granddaughter – Micky (Miller) Dawson.]
Sheldon O. Allen, the first male child born in the colony at Log City, and ever since a resident of the county, died at his home on North Broad Street at 11:30 o'clock, Wednesday evening, after a long illness due to creeping paralysis. He was an honored citizen and had an extensive acquaintance throughout this part of the State.
Many years ago, Mr. Allen had the misfortune to break his leg and the affliction of his later years is attributed to this accident. The paralysis first manifested itself five years ago and for the last three years he has been practically helpless. The decline has been gradual. Sunday, January 6th, while attempting to walk a short distance in his home, he fell. Members of the family came to his assistance and a doctor was summoned. No bones were broken, but the shock to the system seemed to hasten the end.
Mr. Allen was the second child of Sheldon W. and Fidelia (Leach) Allen, and was born in Log City, Henderson township, September 10th, 1838. His parents were among the pioneers and his father came with the colony in 1837 and settled in Log City. He was the second child born in the colony, the first having been Miss Mary Allen West. When he was in his second year the family moved to Galesburg and here he spent his early life. He attended the village school and Knox Academy, where Dr. George Churchill was one of his teachers and Hamilton College, Madison County, N. Y., where he studied during a six months’ term. He then returned to Galesburg and subsequently served a while as C. B. & Q. fireman. October 25th, 1860, he was married at Henderson to Miss Zipporah Edwards, daughter of Marcus and Hannah Edwards, natives of New York [the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index lists a Sheldon A. Allen marrying a Zipporah Edwards in Knox County on October 25, 1860]. After this marriage they moved to the farm at Log City which for 38 years was their home. Two years ago they moved to their pleasant home on North Broad Street.
Mr. Allen, while following agriculture successfully, did much more than carry on farm work. He lived for a purpose. He was a man of pronounced moral convictions. He early took a strong stand on the temperance question and was a fearless and aggressive worker. Both Mr. and Mrs. Allen were charter members of Fidelity lodge of Good Templars, and were active in temperance effort. They devoted Saturdays and Sundays to this cause. In two years they traveled over 1,600 miles in Knox and Warren counties organizing and directing temperance societies. This work was largely done in the rural school houses and the societies where the means of influencing many for good.
From the 1878 History of Knox County, Illinois published by Charles C. Chapman, page 648. [Contributed by Joan Achille.]
SHELDON W. ALLEN, son of Chester and Eunice (Baldwin) Allen, and was born in Oneida county, N.Y., Sept. 28, 1808. There he received a common school education. He worked at the tailoring trade until nineteen years old, when illness prevented him from continuing at it longer. He then hired out by the month, and subsequently went into the butcher business, which he followed for 25 years; was first butcher in Galesburg. Mr. A. came to Knox county in 1837, lived three years in Henderson township, then moved to Galesburg, where he now resides. His parents spent the last days of their life at his home. In 1834 he was married to Fidelia Leach; by her he had eight children, all of whom are living, and all married. She died Nov. 22, 1855, and he married again January, 1858, this time to Nancy Shaver [the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index lists a Sheldon W. Allen marrying a Nancy A. Sharon in Knox County on January 19, 1858]; seven children blessed this union, three of whom are now dead. Mr. A. has reared a large and much respected family. The following are the names of the children, with occupation: James S., butcher; S. O., farmer; Alden H., butcher; Henry A., J. P.; Norman T., M. E. preacher, Roseville, Ill.; Chester, a butcher; Mary F., wife of Job Wykoff, Canton, Ill.; John S., physician, Keithsburg, Ill.; Frank S., car builder, Chicago; Lida K., living at home; Fred R., in hotel, Peoria; and the youngest Ida D., a little girl. Mr. A. is a zealous and practical temperance worker. His gifts for this noble work show him to have his heart truly in the cause. He is connected with the 1st Church, Galesburg. Republican in politics.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
From Helen Crawford, Marseilles Illinois – LaSalle County Genealogy Society. [Contributed by his great, great, great granddaughter – Micky (Miller) Dawson.]
DEATH OF A PIONEER
Sheldon W. Allen passes away this morning: After a long life of usefulness he dies at the age of 84 years, one of the first settlers of Knox County. A brief history of his life. Death has again visited Galesburg and taken away one of its oldest and most widely known citizens, Sheldon W. Allen, who died at his home corner of Mulberry St. and Allen's Avenue at 5 minutes past 8 O'clock this morning after many months of pain and suffering. His sickness dates back over a period of about 13 months. In Dec. of 1891 he was the victim of a severe attack of grippe. From this he seemed to rally and it was thought had completely recovered. He went about his daily duties as was his wont to do, until in Sept. last when he suffered a partial attack of paralysis and since that time has been unable to get about the house except by the assistance of others. Each and every day during these long months he had left his bed and for the most of the day would occupy a place near the parlor stove and engage in conversation with those around him. To many it was a wonder that his intellect should be so clear. He would converse on business matters and give directions as to how this and that should be done. But Monday last his condition began to get worse and by all it was expected he would soon pass away. Since that time he had been confined to the bed, and yet he never lost control of his reasoning powers and retained his faculties up until the hours of his death.
Last night it was evident that the hour of death was fast drawing nigh from 2 O'clock he sank rapidly but died without a struggle. The death of Mr. Allen will be universally regretted. He was a man of strongly marked characteristics and yet generous to all. This truth can not be better illustrated than to cite the fact that for many years past he has donated to the ladies of the C. T. U. the use of the large room on South Prairie St.. free of charge.
It would be very difficult to find in Galesburg of vicinity, a gentleman with which the community was better acquainted, whose sterling qualities were better appreciated than Sheldon W. Allen. He was born Sept. 28, 1808 in Augusta, Oneida Co., NY, and came from his native state directly to Knox County, in 1837. Only mode of conveyance he employed a one-horse wagon, in which he was accompanied by his wife and child. In starting west his objective point was Log City and here he settled for a time. He was among the first and most prominent of the colony which first founded Log City, and is probably the last one of ____little band. After remaining three years at Log City, Mr. Allen proceeded to Galesburg, which he decided to make his home. He was the first regular butcher of Knox County, and we ought to have stated, was the first to engage in that business at Log City. In Galesburg he continued in this calling for several years, but since 1865 has lived mostly in retirement.
As a financier, Mr. Allen probably had no superior in Knox County, and it was through his good judgment that he was enabled to amass a large fortune. Until about 5 years ago he had looked after and directed the affairs of his large financial interests, but since that time this work has fallen to others. He was the owner of several fine tracts of land outside the city and scattered through Knox County. In the city he owned much valuable property. Mr. Allen was married in Augusta Center, Oneida County, NY, Jan. 15, 1835 to Fidelia Leach an estimable lady and a native of New York, who was born Nov. 28, 1813, by her union with Mr. Allen eight children were born, James S. Allen, of Russell County, Kansas, Sheldon O. Allen, a farmer near this city; Albert H. Allen of this city; Henry A. Allen of Russell County, Kansas; Rev. N. T. Allen of this city; Mrs. Mary F. Wyckoff of Canton, and Dr. John S. Allen of Keithsburg. Mrs. Allen the first wife of our subject, died on the 23rd Nov. 1855. He was married a second time in Galesburg, in the month of Jan. 1858 to Nancy Shaver [the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index lists a Sheldon W. Allen marrying a Nancy A. Sharon in Knox County on January 19, 1858]. By this second marriage 7 children we learn, three of whom are now living; Frank S., of Joliet, Mrs. Lila Stuckey, of this city, and Fred R., also of this city. Aside from these the deceased leaves two brothers, Homer Allen of this city, and Azel (Asahel?) B. Allen of Davenport, Iowa, also one sister, Mrs. Mary Fitch, living near this city.
Mr. Allen was a member of the First Church and for years was an active worker. He was a Republican in politics, and by his intellectual oversight has often provided a directing help when the party's interests most needed it. On Questions of public policy and political morality his judgment seldom, if at all, erred. Through his efficient efforts, questions affecting the good of Galesburg have on more occasion than one received special attention.
All illustrating Mr. Allen's remarkable vigor of mind and body it may be instanced that he superintended the construction of his block on South Prairie St. in 1868, and several years later, when Brown's Hotel was projected, he became a stockholder in the enterprise and was elected by the board to superintend the building of the edifice.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
From the Galesburg Register at the time of S.W. Allen’s death. [Contributed by his great, great, great granddaughter – Micky (Miller)
Mrs. Allen, the first wife of our subject, died on the twenty-third of November, 1855. He was married the second time in Galesburg in the month of January, 1858, to Nancy Shaver [the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index lists a Sheldon W. Allen marrying a Nancy A. Sharon in Knox County on January 19, 1858]. By this second marriage 7 children we learn, three of whom are now living; Frank S. of Joliet, Mrs. Lila Stuckey of this city, and Fred R. also of this city. Aside from this the deceased leaves 2 brothers, Homer Allen of this city, and Azel B. Allen of Davenport, IA., also one sister, Mrs. Mary Finch living near this city. Mr. Allen was a member of First church, and for years was an active worker. He was a Republican in politics, and by his intellectual foresight has often proved a directing help when the part's interests most need it. On questions of public policy and political morality his judgment, seldom, if at all, erred. Through his efficient efforts, questions affecting the good of Galesburg have on more occasions then one received special attention. As illustrating Mr. Allen's remarkable vigor of mind and body it may be instanced that he superintended the construction of his block on South Prairie St. in 1868, and several years later, when Brown's Hotel was projected, he became a stock broker in the enterprise and was elected by the board to superintend the building of that edifice.
In common with the other members of the noble, self band to whom Galesburg is proud to trace its origin, Mr. Allen was an outspoken enemy of the system of slavery and aided by every means in his power in the succor and relief of the escaping chattels, who made Galesburg a resting point in their flight for freedom. His generosity to the colored race was warmed by their lack of friends, and was proverbial. The Washington temperance movement of 40 years ago also found an earnest friend in the deceased, and his liberality to the W. C. T. U.
From the 1878 History of Knox County, Illinois published by Charles C. Chapman, page 647. [Contributed by Joan Achille.]
A. G. ANDERSON, conductor, is the son of A. and Anna M. Anderson, of Sweden; was born in that country Oct. 26, 1844; came to America when twenty years of age; married Kate Lundquist Sept. 13, 1870 [the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index lists a Augustus Anderson marrying a Kate Lundquist in Knox County on November 13, 1870]; they have one child. Mr. Anderson is connected with the First Lutheran Church, Galesburg, where he resides. He is a Republican.
From the 1878 History of Knox County, Illinois published by Charles C. Chapman, page 647. [Contributed by Joan Achille.]
REV. CHARLES ANDERSON, President of Ansgari College, was born in Denmark, July 24, 1843; came to America with his parents in 1848; graduated at Illinois State University in 1863; in 1865 served as Chaplain of the 46th Wisconsin Infantry; in 1866-9 was pastor of the English Lutheran Church, Mt. Carroll, Ill.; in 1869 to1873 pastor of Second Lutheran Church, Galesburg; 1871-78 editor of Zion's Banner; 1873-75 Principal of the "Mission Institute," Keokuk, Ia.; 1875 to the present time President of Ansgari College, Knoxville. He was married to Nettie A. Whipple, and they have four children. He is a Republican in politics.
From the 1886 Portrait and Biographical Album of Knox County, Biographical Publishing Company, Chicago, page 793. [Contributed by Todd Walter.]
Jonas F. Anderson, fashionable restaurateur and confectioner, Galesburg, came to America from Sweden in 1855 and to this city in 1856. His mother, who accompanied him hither, spent her last days in Galesburg. Jonas F. Anderson was born Sept 7, 1841; his boyhood in Sweden was spent principally in school, and since coming here, like his industrious people, he has gathered a pretty fair knowledge of English. After several years in biographical work, covering all classes and nationalities, the writer unreservedly pronounces the Swede as the most apt of all foreigners who come to our shores in gathering an English education and adapting himself to American ideas. The industry and good citizenship of these people are marked, and their loyalty in the discharge of every obligation incumbent upon them makes their patronage in commerce and traffic of the highest worth.
Mr. Anderson farmed for three years after coming to Knox County. He then removed to Monmouth and engaged in the restaurant and confectionery business. In the fall of 1862 he went out with the 14th Ill. Cav., as sutler for H. H. Mayo, of Peoria, and remained about a year and a half. In February, 1864, he opened a restaurant on Cherry Street, this city; was there about a year, when he removed to 128 East Main street, and from there in 1876 to his present elegant quarters, 140 East Main street. He is a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and is a Mason and an Odd Fellow. At Princeton, Ill., Sept. 26, 1865, he married Miss Christina Spaka, a native of Sweden, and their children are named respectively Fred H., Lillie V. and Walter R.
[On page 1034, Jonas F. Anderson is listed as a charter member of Vesper Lodge, No. 584, A., F. & A. M. that was chartered on Oct. 6, 1868.]
From the 1886 Portrait and Biographical Album of Knox County, Biographical Publishing Company, Chicago, page 410. [Contributed by Pat Thomas.]
Ole Anderson. The little kingdom of Norway has contributed her quota of sturdy, energetic men who have done their part toward the development of this country. In Sparta Township that country is well represented, and as one of the representatives of that country, and in fact we might say, one of the foremost men in the county, is the subject of this notice.
Ole Anderson, who is at present residing on his fine farm on section 12, Sparta Township, was born in Norway, in 1820. His parents were Andrew and Harriet (Christian) Olaf Anderson, natives of that country. Our subject lived there with his parents until 16 years of age, after which he worked out for four years. His ambitious spirit at this age of life prompted him to engage in other than hard labor, and he turned his attention to the buying and selling of stock, which he followed for four years. In 1846 he purchased a farm in his native country and for three years was occupied in its cultivation. He then sold his place, and, expecting to better his financial condition in the land beyond the salty waters of the Atlantic, he concluded to emigrate. He set sail for this country, and in 1849, after disembarking at an Eastern seaport, he came almost directly to this county. On arriving here, his funds being exhausted, he commenced work for Mr. B. Leighton. He remained with the latter gentleman but a short time when he purchased 80 acres of land and once more engaged in farming.
The judgment of Mr. Anderson, on first coming to the country, was that the broad, uncultivated prairie lands were not only productive, but would in a short time rapidly increase in value. He consequently has been engaged in the buying and selling of land ever since he came here, together with the raising of stock. At the present time he is the proprietor of 1,400 acres of land in the State, and on his fine farm, on section 12, has some splendid improvements, his residence and barn costing him about $5,000. On his home farm he has a herd of about 180 head of cattle, 150 head of hogs and 30 head of horses. In addition to his real possessions in the State, he owns a large tract of land in Texas, which he is improving. His Texas land amounts to 12,500 acres, which he intends to make a stock ranch. It is all under fence, and 2,500 of it joins the town of Big Springs.
The marriage of our subject took place in Norway. A short time after coming to this state his wife died of cholera; she lies buried at Ottawa. By their union, one child was born - Mary, now Mrs. H. Mitchell. The second matrimonial alliance of Mr. Anderson was with Betsy Anderson [the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index lists a Ole Anderson marrying a Ellen Anderson in Knox County on July 12, 1856], born in Norway. The issue of the latter union was 11 children, named Willie, Henry, Andrew, Alfred, Christian, Arthur, Harriet, Annie, Jennie, Sophia and Emil.
Ole Anderson is a self made man in every sense the word implies. His motto has always been, "Never put off until to-morrow what can be done to-day." He is independent in politics, and has held the office of Roadmaster and School Trustee, and is one of the well-known and respected citizens as well as an energetic and successful farmer of Sparta Township.
OLOF ANDERSON, son of Peter and Betsey (Nelson) Anderson, of Christianstad, Sweden; was born in Sweden; is a farmer by profession; removed to DeKalb county, Ill., in 1854, to Knox county, Ill., in 1856; was married to Hannah Ellison on the 13th of July, 1859 [the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index lists a Oliver Anderson marrying a Hannah Ellison in Warren County on July 13, 1859]. In political views he is a Republican. In 1854 he united with the Lutheran Church, and is a Trustee. He was shipwrecked off the coast of Newfoundland in 1857. All the passengers were lost but 5. P.O., Wataga.
R. F. ANDERSON, farmer; was born in Virginia Jan. 6, 1825; his parents were David and Mary Anderson, of Virginia. He attended school in a log school-house; came to Illinois in 1855; has been engaged in the mercantile business. Mr. Anderson was Alderman in 1873-4, and Mayor in 1875 of Yates City. He was married in 1847 to Miss Martha H. North and they have had twelve children. He is connected with the M. E. Church, and is independent in politics. Postoffice, Yates City.
WILLIAM F. ANDERSON, merchant, born in Bedford county, Pa., on May 17, 1835. His parents, John and Elizabeth Anderson, were natives of Penn. Was educated in the public schools of Penn.; removed to Warren co., Ill., thence to Knox county in September, 1858; was married to Sarah Cox [the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index lists a William F. Anderson marrying a Sarah Elizabeth Cox in Warren County on September 25, 1859], and they are the parents of four children; followed farming for some time; was a soldier in the 102nd Illinois Infantry; is a member of the United Brethren Church, of which he is Steward and Class Leader; has been School Director, Town Trustee and Treasurer. Democrat. Postoffice, Henderson.
From the 1878 History of Will County, Illinois, Wm. LeBaron, Jr., & Co. [Contributed by Todd Walter.]
Alexander Andrews, grocery merchant, Joliet; was born in Meriden, New Haven co., Conn., Oct. 29, 1824; in early life he learned the trade of carpenter and joiner; he came West to Illinois in 1852, and settled in Peoria Co., where he engaged in carpentering for a number of years; in 1858, he purchased a farm in Knox Co., and followed agricultural pursuits till 1870; he then spent one or two years in traveling, and , in 1872, located in Joliet; here he worked at his trade until November, 1876, when he engaged in his present occupation. He was married in 1843, to Lucia S. Lewis, a native of Connecticut; has two children - Frank and Fred. Mr. Andrews has a fine trade and is deservedly popular as a business man.
From the 1878 History of Knox County, Illinois published by Charles C. Chapman, page 648. [Contributed by Bob Miller.]
ANDREW ANNIS, son of Eleson Annis (a native of Maine) and Catharine Annis, of Massachusetts. Andrew was born in Maine April 17, 1825; in 1831 removed to Ohio, and six years later, 1837, came to Knox county, Ill., where he settled on a farm. He was married Aug. 30, 1849, to Leah Brown [the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index lists a Andrew Annis marrying a Leah Brown in Knox County on August 30, 1849], who has borne him five children - four boys and one girl; has served as Road Commissioner and School Director many years; was received into the Advent Church by Rev. Daniel Clark in 1862, and has held the office of Deacon for fourteen years successively. Republican in politics. Postoffice, Victoria.
From the 1886 Portrait and Biographical Album of Knox County, Biographical Publishing Company, Chicago, page 674. [Contributed by Pat Thomas.]
Isaac Q. Armstrong, a farmer, residing on section 18, Knox township, is the subject of this biographical sketch, and is noteworthy as being a substantial citizen, and successful in his chosen field of labor. His farm is in a good state of cultivation, highly improved and supplied with a first-class set of farm buildings, furnished with all modern conveniences. The farm is well stocked with blooded animals, and nothing is lacking to complete and perfect his possessions. Mr. Armstrong was born in Adams County, Pennsylvania, June 21, 1831, and his father, Isaac Armstrong, Sr., was also born in Adams County, April 6, 1797. The grandfather of our subject also bore the Christian name of Isaac, and was a resident of the same county as the son and grandson at the time of his death. He was born of English progenitors, but was of American adoption.
The father of our subject grew to manhood in his native county, and was married there to Miss Mary Campbell. She was born in Adams County in 1808, and was of Scotch-Irish ancestry. In 1835 he removed to Franklin County, Pennsylvania and there rented land. He lived there 19 years, and in 1854, accompanied by his wife and eight children, emigrated to Illinois. They started on the 4th day of May with horses, covered wagons and a rockaway carriage, and drove overland to their destination. They landed in Knoxville, June 12, where the father rented a house for his family in the village, and started out to find a suitable and permanent location. He purchased 307 acres on section 18, Knox Township. There was a log house and stable on it, and the land was partly under cultivation; the family lived in the cabin for a few years, then erected a frame house and added other improvements. He died on this place in June 1878, and his wife in May, 1879.
Eight children were born to Isaac Armstrong; Alexander lives in Nemaha County, Nebraska; Isaac, of whom we write; James, who lives in Knox Township; Agnes, whose home is in Orange Township; Jane, wife of D. H. Stewart, lives in Jefferson County, Iowa; Rebecca, wife of Wilson Wood, lives in Cheyenne, Wyoming territory; Thomas resides on the old homestead in Knox Township; Mary is the wife of Webb Sipherd, and lives in Polk County, Nebraska.
The subject of this history was but four years of age when he removed to Franklin County, Pennsylvania. He grew to manhood there, and educated in the district schools. He came to Illinois with his parents, and remained with them until his marriage in 1862. At that time he united with Margaret Saddler [the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index lists a Isaac D. Armstrong marrying a Margret A. Sadler in Knox County on December 25, 1862], who was born in Adams County, Pennsylvania. Eighteen months afterward she died, leaving one child, a son named Harry. His second marriage was contracted November 13, 1866, with Elizabeth Rogers [the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index lists a Isaac Armstrong marrying a Elizabeth Rogers in Knox County on November 13, 1866]. She was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, and is the daughter of Charles and Eliza (Phillips) Rogers, the father a native of Connecticut and her mother of England. One child was the result of this latter union, a daughter named Lottie. At the time of marriage, they settled on that part of their homestead which Mr. Armstrong now wons and occupies.
In the spring of 1865, Mr. Armstrong, with others, engaged in the employ of the Government, and went South to Chattanooga and to different parts of East Tennessee. There he continued until the close of the war. At the present time he is engaged in the joint business of farming and stock-raising. Mr. Armstrong is a valued member of the community, an alert thinker, and wide-awake to the political situation. He is a Republican in politics, and warmly supports that party in sentiment and vote. His wife is an enrolled member of the Presbyterian Church and he is liberal in religious sentiment, though connected with no special organization.